CLICK HERE FOR PROFESSOR WILKIE'S ARCHIVES.
J. Scott, Wilkie is a Distinguished Professor of Practice at Osgoode Hall Law School, York University. He is also co-director of the Osgoode Hall Law School Professional LL.M. in tax law and an executive fellow of the School of Public Policy at the University of Calgary. Professor Wilkie teaches a course in trade and tax policy called WTO and Tax Policy at the Vienna University of Economics and Business, Vienna Austria, in the LL.M. program in international tax law conducted by the Vienna University of Economics and Business and the Institute for Austrian and International Tax Law, where he is an adjunct faculty member.
As one of the most high-profile tax practitioners in Canada, Professor Wilkie is involved in a number of committees and organizations. He is vice-chair of the Permanent Scientific Committee of the International Fiscal Association. He is a past chair of the Canadian Tax Foundation and previously served as chair of the Tax Section of the Canadian Bar Association (CBA), joint chair on the Joint Committee on Taxation of the CBA and the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, chair of the Tax Committee of the American Bar Association Section of International Law, and president of the Canadian branch of the International Fiscal Association.
He also served as a public policy adviser for the Canadian E-Business Opportunities Roundtable and the Canadian E-Business Initiative, as well as participating in the work of the Minister of National Revenue's E-Commerce Advisory Panel on the international tax aspects of e-commerce.
Professor Wilkie participated as a member of the OECD Business Advisory Group for Business Restructurings, and has been consulted by and provided comments to the OECD over many years on various important subjects of its study.
Throughout his career, Professor Wilkie has taught a number of tax-related courses. For example, he has been an adjunct professor at the University of Toronto Faculty of Law and McGill University Faculty of Law, where he taught international taxation. He has also taught for the McMaster University Graduate School of Economics and lectured at the University of Western Ontario and the New York University Law School.
Awards & Recognitions
Professor Wilkie is recognized as a leading corporate tax lawyer in the following publications:
- Acritas Stars 2019: Independently Rated Lawyer (Nominated as a stand-out lawyer by senior in-house counsel)
- Chambers Canada: Canada's Leading Lawyers for Business - 2016-2020
- The Best Lawyers in Canada - 2013-2020 (also listed in Derivatives Law)
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business - 2012-2020
- Who's Who Legal: Thought Leaders - 2019-2020 (Corporate Tax – Advisory)
- The Legal 500 Canada - 2016-2020 (Recommended - Tax)
- The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada - 2014-2019
- International Tax Review’s World Tax 2019 - Highly Regarded (Tax Controversy)
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory - 2013-2019
- Who's Who Legal: Corporate Tax - 2012-2019 (Advisory)
- Acritas Stars 2018: Independently Rated Lawyer (Nominated as a stand-out lawyer by senior in-house counsel)
- Who's Who Legal: Canada - 2011-2017
- The Lexpert Guide to Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada - 2014-2017
- Acritas Stars 2016: Independently Rated Lawyers (Nominated as a stand-out lawyer by senior in-house counsel)
- Legal Media Group's The Best of the Best - 2011-2015 and 2016 (Top 30 in the World) (Transfer Pricing)
- Who's Who Legal - 2012-2015
- International Tax Review Tax's Controversy Leaders - 2014 and 2015
- Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Tax Advisers 2014
- Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Transfer Pricing Advisers 2013
In 2020, Professor Wilkie was appointed Honourary Member of the Canadian Branch of the International Fiscal Association in recognition of contributions made to the International Fiscal Association and the study of international taxation.
In 2018, Professor Wilkie was named America's Transfer Pricing Practice Leader of the Year by the International Tax Review/Euromoney Legal Media Group.
In 2018, Professor Wilkie was awarded the Osgoode Hall Law School Professional Development Award for Excellence in Teaching in the professional LLM.
In 2016 Professor Wilkie was among the first recipients of the Canadian Tax Foundation Lifetime Contribution Award recognizing exceptional contributions to the Foundation and the tax community.
In 2012, Professor Wilkie was awarded a Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal to recognize his significant contributions to the work of the Canadian Tax Foundation.
He has also received a 2003 Arbor Award for outstanding voluntary service to the University of Toronto, was awarded lifetime membership for service to the Canadian Tax Foundation and led his committee to receive the 2006-2007 American Bar Association Most Improved Committee Award for assisting to rebuild the Tax Committee of the International Law Section.